Summer Professional Development
Each spring, the Centre for Craft Nova Scotia accepts applications for the Summer Professional Development Residencies in the Ceramics, Wood, Metal/Jewellery, and Weaving/Textile Studios.
How to apply?
Friday, April 30, 2021 at midnight.
- Advanced students and recent graduates
- Emerging, Pre-professional and self-directed artists who need time and space to develop a body of work while exploring individual style and technique
- Individuals who work independently, conduct themselves in a professional manner and are comfortable working in a cooperative studio environment
Resources, Opportunities, and Artist Responsibilities:
- The residency will take place from June 29 – September 4, 2021(dates are approximate updated dates TBA)
- The studios will be accessible 24 hours a day
- Residents are expected to keep their spaces and the studio tidy, as well as treat the facilities and equipment respectfully
- There is an expectaion of a minimum of 20hrs comitted studio time per week (please out line your potential schedule)
- A group exhibition of resident’s work at the Mary E. Black Gallery
- Opening September 2 at 6:00pm
- Runs from September 3 to 19, 2021
- Mandatory orientation the first day + 3 other mandatory group meetings throughout the residency:
- 1st meeting within first week: Artist talks and goals for residence
- 2nd meeting after a month: group sharing discussions on progress/issues/problem solving
- 3rd meeting at the end: gallery show organization, artist statements, bios, invites, set up
- $325 + HST
- $50 damage deposit which will be returned upon the completion of the residency provided no damage has been done to the studios or equipment, studios are left clean, and keys returned
Attachments to form must include:
- NEW – Due to Covid-19 we will be accepting less participants to meet the health and safety protocols
NEW – please provide a detailed working schedule for being in the studio. What time of day? How many hours? How many days a week?
- One page Letter of Intent describing your proposed project and what facilities you plan to use
- C.V. (2 pages maximum)
- 10 (no more) images of current work in jpeg format (each images should not excess 1mb 72dpi)
- reference sheet of the images and a description of materials, processes, size, title and date
- Two letters of reference *Note – Letters of Recommendation SHOULD NOT BE OPENED OR SENT BY APPLICANT. THEY MUST BE SENT UNDER SEPARATE COVER DIRECTLY to the Studio Coordinator. It is your responsibility to ensure we have both letters of recommendation on or prior to the application deadline.
Recommendation Forms can be filled out by Referee 2 ways:
Only successful applicants will be contacted
For more information please contact Alexis Vessey, Studio Coordinator, at 902.492.2524 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org